Better patient care through instant communication and save money
I would like to suggest an idea to improve the way how individual departments communicates in the Hospital which could improve the patient care with effective instant messaging and cost-effective in a safe way.
Current problems and difficulties:
1. Instant urgent messages are not reaching the relevant staff on time
2. Safe confidential work related messages take time to reach relevant people
3. Instant communication to the departmental colleagues when somebody has not turned up to work, so that, a request of 'who is free' for extra hours
4. Many locum agencies are contacted for short term works
5.Although work related electronic mails are there, certainly it is not accessible by everybody in an instant way from their phones
Hence, my suggestions and an example of a workable plan:
- When NHS approved messaging apps are used by the members of a particular department, messages are conveyed instantly. It reaches the relevant people in a safe way without compromising information governance
When there is a complex problem / urgent problem, suggestions and solutions from from other people who has faced it before can instantly solve it for the benefit of the patient care
Previously, when somebody is off sick or suddenly unable to come, we have to use various contact methods and spend lot of time and still unsuccessful in some instances. Moreover, lot of money can be spent for the locum agencies as well. However, with the instant messaging system (such as Hospify or Siilo), members are contacted instantly , with answers and solutions were found in no time, without spending extra money for the agencies. - Time and cost efficiency along with less stress in the work place when communications are better.
- One model - A department has an instant messaging platform (all members are encouraged to join). Medical staffing relevant for that particular team can join as well. Rota co-ordinator, medical staffing or the consultants can all be given the admin responsibility who can approve the joining process for new members. Apart from other work related aspects are conveyed, if somebody is absent or a problem noted, a message is conveyed in the team and the solution is acted upon. If each deanery has a Workforce instant messaging - involving the local group, this would potentially eliminate or massively decrease the need for short-term locum agencies, saving thousands / millions of pounds - when followed across all the NHS Trusts