A significant proportion of Model Hospital metrics, including all WAU metrics, use the annual NHS reference costs that are published by NHS England and NHS Improvement every winter. We published 2017/18 data on the Model Hospital on 5 December 2018.
This article tells you which compartments have been updated with the 2017/18 reference cost data, improvements to ESR data, and how trusts that have recently formed through mergers or acquisitions have been handled.
Compartments being updated with 2017/18 reference cost data
- Operational Productivity
- Opportunity Scanner
- All Clinical Service Lines
- Pharmacy and Medicines
- Workforce compartments: Allied Health Professionals, Doctors, Nursing and Midwifery
- Estates and Facilities
- Finance and Use of Resources
Improving ESR data
Users have raised concerns about the quality of the Electronic Staff Record (ESR) data published on Model Hospital in previous months. We have worked closely with the ESR team throughout 2018 to provide more accurate data, and we have refreshed historical information in most compartments.
As part of the 2017/18 reference cost refresh, we have made changes to the calculations of staff costs per WAU and similar metrics to reflect our work to date. Please review the metadata for the revised methodology. We will continue to work with the ESR team to have more and better data supplied through ESR.
Following the refresh, three trusts that formed through mergers or acquisitions during 2017 have become combined trusts within the Model Hospital because they submitted merged reference cost data for 2017/18:
- North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trusts
- Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Essex Partnership University NHS Trust
Five trusts have formed from mergers or acquisitions during 2018 or 2019. They have not yet submitted joint reference costs so will continue to be separate organisations in the Model Hospital:
- University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
- East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust
- Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust
- South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust
Because the constituent trusts submitted individual reference costs for 2017/18, the Model Hospital will continue to display individual trust level data until the next reference costs update in late 2019.
More about how newly-merged trusts are handled.